Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Get geared up for the rain!

I started to use my bike as my main means of getting around when I was at University in Vancouver, BC. The Pacific Northwest is known for its relentless rainy winters, and I've gone through my fair share of bike related rain gear. here are a few of my picks for fenders...

Fenders - That's "mudguards" to you UK dwellers - a must have for any commuter, fenders will keep you dryer than without, and hopefully you can avoid the dreaded skunk-tail commuter syndrome. With fenders, I've always found that the closer you can get to the tire, the more splash will be deflected.

My favorite fenders are the Raceblades by SKS out of Germany. Good quality fenders, with a design that makes them usable with virtually any 700c bike. I usually reach for my track bike which doesn't have fender mounts, so this was a no-brainer. The fenders hug the curve of the wheels, blocking most splash and debris. Integrated mud flaps keep surprises from flying up to meet you. The front fender does a great deal towards keeping your feet dry. Available in 2 sizes for super narrow road race tires and wider "XL" version for commuter style tires, and a few different color options keep it fresh.



If you're not into the full fender look, I still like SKS for quick release rear fenders. The SKS X-tra Dry has a great non-slip mechanism that will adjust to fit snugly around any diameter seatpost. There's an allen key bolt to adjust the angle and prevent the dreaded floppy fender that won't leave your tire alone. Combine this with the Race Blades and you're totally golden.



If you've got fender mounts, the Civia Hyland Fenders are a great looking alternative. Subtle details make this a great looking functional option for full fenders.



All of these options and more available at BKLYN BIKES! If you don't see something you like, drop by and we help you find something that works for you.

Stay dry - ride longer...

No comments:

Post a Comment